Established in 1983 | Area: 1 acre
Mount Healthy on Tortola features the intact remains of a thickly walled stone windmill, once part of an 18th century sugar plantation. It is the only such windmill on Tortola. The park can be reached along the road which leads from Ridge Road down to Brewer's Bay, located on Tortola's north shore.
The 18th century windmill located at Mount Healthy, belonged to the area's wealthiest planner. Slaves harvested and processed raw cane into sugar at this extensive sugar cane cultivation. Other ruins on the property included the boiling house, and remnants of the animal mill round, distillery, hospital, storage shed, and housing, some of which can be seen on private property in the area.
National Parks Trust's Description:
This 18th century windmill was once used for grinding the sugarcane, farmed from the stepp slopes on the north shore of Tortola.
This was once part of a thriving 250 acre plantation where enslaved Africans cultivated the sugarcane on the terraced slopes and processed it into sugar which was then shipped to Britain for sale. Across the road from the windmill lie the ruins of the mill round, which was powered by animals, the factory with boiling house, the distiller, hospital and living quarters.
Mount Healthy windmill is the last remaining windmill in the BVI and was constructed from field rubble. The large arched apertures are accented by cut stone blocks. These functional openings were used for carrying the sugar cane into the mill for grinding and the crushed cane (bagasse) out. The circular walls of the windmill were often six of more feet at the base, tapering up to three feet at the top to a truncated cone.
Following the abolition of enslavement in 1834, workers from the Mt. Healthy estate could buy land to cultivate for themselves. However the sugar industry deteriorated after a series of disastrous hurricanes in the 1830s and drouht in the 1850s, resulting in the windmill becoming a relic.