The Government of the British Virgin Islands (BVIGOV) is desirous of building a cruise terminal that integrates the seamless transfer of passenger from the latest class of cruise ship to the shores of the Virgin Islands and a heightened cruise experience within walking distance, through the availability of shops and leisure activities to these passengers. This experience is envisioned to include not only onshore activities around the cruise pier itself but in addition is expected to include the integration of the surrounding areas around the cruise pier in the area of Road Town as well.
This project will involve the improvement of the existing facility which is comprised of the following:
1. Cruise pier (details at Appendices: Project Components)
2. Tender pier to include an excursion/ferry dock(details at Appendices: Project Components)
3. Visitor center
4. Four (4) acres of vacant land space
Pursuant to the plans of the Government of the Virgin Islands, this development should include the following components.
1. An enhancement of the current cruise pier to accommodate the class of cruise ships now expected to cruise the Caribbean. The Design Criteria for the Cruise Pier enhancement requires that the pier must at a minimum accommodate the following class vessels with minimum specification of Minimum length 1,300 feet, Minimum Deck Width 45 feet and Rated for two 170,000 ton ships. As such proposals must allow for but not be limited to accommodation at the pier of the following ships ; Disney Dream, Norwegian Breakaway & Epic, Royal Sunshine and Celebrity Solstice and similar class of ships.
2. The development of approximately four (4) acres vacant reclaimed land in the immediate vicinity of the cruise pier for the use of cruise passengers. This development must at the minimum include:
a. A visitor center
b. A shopping mall/village
c. Recreation area(s)/ Green Space
d. Restroom facilities
e. Staging area for the transfer of passenger to taxis or tour operators on land or by sea.
Closing date: August 28, 2012
For detailed information please visit http://www.finance.gov.vg or
Ministry of Finance
Government of the Virgin Islands
Central Administration Complex
33 Admin Drive
Road Town, Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Tel: 284 468 3701 ext. 2144
Fax: 284 494 6180