BVI AFTER HURRICANE IRMA

Learn what's open and how relief efforts are progressing with our Latest Updates.

Sir Olva Georges Plaza

Sir Olva Georges Plaza
Road Town
British Virgin Islands

This courtyard like area was the site of much commerce and trading in the early 1940-1960’s. Named are the first BVIslander to be knighted, Sir Olva Georges, this area houses the Royal Virgin Islands Police Headquarters and other commercial buildings. Sir James Olva Georges, O.B.E., M.B.E., K.B. (14 July 1980 to 27th March 1976) A distinguished public servant, community leader and member of the legislative and Executive Councils of Virgin Islands. Sir Olva Georges acted as Commissioner or Administrator during the absences of Her Majesty's Representative in the Territory. He also worked in his family's business, J.E.W. Georges General Store and served in various capacities in the Road Town Methodist Church. Because of his outstanding service to the Territory, he was knighted by Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth II on 20th July 1971. In 1973, this location which up to the early 1970's served as the public marketplace was named the Sir Olva Georges Plaza in his honour. This monument was dedicated to his memory at a ceremony held on 18th April 2010.

1
2
3
1
2
3

This courtyard like area was the site of much commerce and trading in the early 1940-1960’s. Named are the first BVIslander to be knighted, Sir Olva Georges, this area houses the Royal Virgin Islands Police Headquarters and other commercial buildings. Sir James Olva Georges, O.B.E., M.B.E., K.B. (14 July 1980 to 27th March 1976) A distinguished public servant, community leader and member of the legislative and Executive Councils of Virgin Islands. Sir Olva Georges acted as Commissioner or Administrator during the absences of Her Majesty's Representative in the Territory. He also worked in his family's business, J.E.W. Georges General Store and served in various capacities in the Road Town Methodist Church. Because of his outstanding service to the Territory, he was knighted by Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth II on 20th July 1971. In 1973, this location which up to the early 1970's served as the public marketplace was named the Sir Olva Georges Plaza in his honour. This monument was dedicated to his memory at a ceremony held on 18th April 2010.

Nearby Attractions